Saturday 25 September 2010

Poor Pigeon

"Wend come quick".  Kizzie is outside with a pigeon in her mouth.  She looked so pleased with herself, she 'found' it amongst the bushes in the garden.  Then the pigeon made a little 'help' type noise.  Kizzie shook it. 
Luckily I always have chicken in the fridge these days.  I grabbed a few pieces, slung them into a bowl and put it on the grass.  Kizzie came close, gently dropped the pigeon and snorfed the chicken.  I picked up the young bird, it was still breathing and making tiny noises, so I carried to safety and put it somewhere safe to either recover or die peacefully.
It died.  I must admit I had thought a cat had caught it and Kizzie had stolen it, but I couldn't see a mark on it.  I don't suppose being shaken did it any favours. 

I was impressed with the way Kizzie brought the bird to show me, also impressed with the gentle mouth and no chewing.  I suppose she is a real retriever after all.  But I would have preferred it if the pigeon had flown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment